- 450g plain flour
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- 1 level tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 level tablespoon baking powder
- 1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 225g Demerara sugar
- 175g butter
- 175g black treacle
- 175g golden syrup
- 250ml milk
- 1 beaten medium egg
- Grease and line a nine inch square cake tin.
- Sift the flour, salt, ginger, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Warm the sugar, butter, treacle and syrup until melted, but don't allow to boil. Mix in the milk and the egg.
- Add the liquid and mix well.
- Pour the mix into the tin and bake at 170C/325F/gas mark 3 for about an hour and a half. Turn out to cool on a wire rack.
(To make a smaller cake, use half the quantities and bake for an hour or so)