Per serving: 200 calories, 3g fat
- 115g (4oz) low fat margarine
- 50g (2oz) reduced calorie granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 115g (4oz) eating apples, grated
- 350g (12oz) dried mixed fruit
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 150C, 300F, gas mark 2. Lightly grease and line a 20cm (8in) round cake tin.
- Using a whisk, cream together the margarine and sugar in a large bowl. Gradually mix in the beaten eggs. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the apples, dried fruit, flour, spice and cinnamon and mix well together to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a prepared cake tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 1-1.5 hours until the blade of the knife comes out clean when inserted into the thickest part of the cake.
- Allow to cool and serve.
Chef’s tip – you can also bake the cake in a loaf tin and serve slices with custard as a delicious hot pudding.