Makes approx. 24
- 4oz/100g wholewheat flour
- 4oz/100g medium oatmeal
- 2oz/50g soft brown or caster sugar
- 1teaspoon baking powder or ½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 4oz/100g butter or margarine
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
You will also need a lightly greased baking sheet and some cling film.
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4/350F/180C.
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients and rub in the butter to a breadcrumb texture. Now add enough milk to create a moist pastry consistency. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to firm the mix.
- This creates a reasonably delicate dough so it's important to roll between the sheets of cling film with great care. When 3mm thick cut into 6-7cm discs re-rolling any trimmings.
- Place the discs on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest for five minutes before transferring onto a wire rack.
The digestives are now best kept in an airtight container and eaten within 2-3 days. However, once you have made them, it is very rare they last that long!