We exist to improve the lives
of everyone affected by epilepsy


Disabled Facilities Grant

This information applies to people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Disabled Facilities Grants are not available in Scotland. 

If you are looking for information about benefits outside the UK, please contact your local epilepsy organisation.

What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

If your epilepsy means you need to make changes to your home, you might be able to get a Disabled Facilities Grant from your local council to help.

What will I get?

How much you get depends on your household income and savings, and what changes need to be made to the property. Depending on your income, you may need to pay towards the cost of the work. Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account.

What sort of changes will it pay for?

The grant is to pay for essential changes to make it easier to get into and around your home, and to keep you and others safe, for example:

  • Taking a bath out and installing a level access shower
  • Providing a downstairs toilet or bathroom
  • Fitting safety glass in doors and windows

You will usually need to have an assessment by an occupational therapist to decide what changes you need.

Some councils can arrange for the work to be carried out for you, or you can organise the work yourself. But you should wait until the council has approved your application before starting any work. If you don’t, you might not get the grant.

Can I get a Disabled Facilities Grant?

To qualify for a grant, there must be a disabled person living in the property. The grant is available to people who own or rent their property, and also to landlords who have a disabled tenant.

How do I apply?

In England and Wales: Contact your local council. You can find their number in your local phone book, or enter your postcode on the Government website.

In Northern Ireland: Contact your local Health and Social Care Trust. You can also speak to your GP or social worker.

Where can I get help with benefits?

Provides a free online benefits calculator and grants search tool to help you find out what financial help you are entitled to.
Website: turn2us.org.uk
Helpline: 0808 802 2000

Citizens Advice
Citizens Advice provides advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities. Check the website or your local phonebook for details of your nearest Citizens Advice service.
Telephone advice in England: 03444 111 444
Telephone advice in Wales: 03444 77 20 20
Find your local Citizens Advice in Scotland
Find your local Citizens Advice in Northern Ireland
Website: citizensadvice.org.uk

Disability Information and Advice Line services, run by and for disabled people. They may be able to refer you to someone who can help you fill out claim forms for benefits (provided there is someone in your area).
Helpline: 0808 800 3333 (to find your local group)
Website: scope.org.uk/dial

This website has lots of information about all the different benefits that are available.
Website: gov.uk/browse/benefits

Disability Rights UK
This website has a number of free factsheets you can download. It offers basic information about benefits, tax credits, social care and other disability- related issues for claimants and advisers.
Website: disabilityrightsuk.org

Welfare Rights Unit
Welfare Rights Units give free advice and support on benefits. Some can also help with completing claim forms and appealing benefits decisions. Contact your local council to find out if they have a Welfare Rights Unit. To find your local council visit gov.uk/find-you-local-council

This website has lots of information about the benefits that are available in Northern Ireland.
Website: nidirect.gov.uk

Advice NI
Offers information, advice, advocacy and representation for people in Northern Ireland.
Helpline: 0800 988 2377
Website: adviceni.net

Event Date: 
Friday 11 December 2015 - 09:30

This information has been produced under the terms of The Information Standard.

  • Updated November 2017
    To be reviewed April 2019

There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment...

e-action newsletter

Subscribe to our e-action newsletter and stay informed

Subscribe to e-action newsletter feed