We exist to improve the lives
of everyone affected by epilepsy


Identification, alarms, funding and useful organisations

Epilepsy identification

You may choose to carry or wear some form of identification, especially if you’re out on your own. This could be an ID card or medical identity jewellery.

Alarms for inside and outside the home

There are different types of alarms that can be helpful for some people with epilepsy. The type of device that could work for you will depend on what you want the alarm to monitor (movement, falling, noise) and who is going to respond to the alarm. Some alarms will only work in the house. Others can send a message to someone at quite a distance, but they’re more expensive.

If you don’t know someone who could respond to an alarm in the house (for example if you live alone) you may want to consider a telecare system. A telecare system is where an organisation such as social services would respond to the alarm. The equipment may be cheap or free but there’s a weekly charge for the service. The NHS Choices website has a good introduction to these. You may also want to ask your epilepsy nurse or specialist for their advice about equipment.

Website: nhs.uk

Types of alarms

  • Baby intercoms or other listening monitors which can pick up sound
  • Video monitors
  • Bed alarms or bed sensor mats that can sense different things when someone is asleep, such as unusual sound or movement
  • Fall alarms, which can be set off when someone falls to the ground
  • Telephone alarms, which can be operated by remote control by someone who needs help
  • Smart watches, which can let someone know if you’ve had a seizure and where you are

For information and advice about alarms and where you can get them, you can contact the Disabled Living Foundation’s equipment helpline.

Tel: 0300 999 0004  (calls charged at local rate)
Textphone: 020 7432 8009 (calls charged at standard rate)
Email: advice@dlf.org.uk

The Disabled Living Foundation's website is called Living made Easy.

Telecare alarms (alarms which are linked to a help centre)
Website: livingmadeeasy.org.uk/telecare

Bed alarms
Website: livingmadeeasy.org.uk/bedroom

Epilepsy Action has more information about daily living aids



Some of the equipment we mention here may be quite expensive for you to be able to put in place by yourself. Or it may just not be practical in your home. For example there may not be enough room. You may be able to get some help with making your home safer from your local authority, if they think that you need it. This would usually involve an assessment by an occupational therapist. You could ask for this through your family doctor, your local social services agency or you could contact an occupational therapist directly. All the details are online.

It’s also possible to ask your local social services department for a general care assessment. As well as looking at any changes you may need in the home, this should include other forms of possible support. For parents, it could be someone being with you while you bath your baby.


Useful organisations

Disabled Living Foundation
Runs an equipment demonstration centre and provides information about equipment for daily living.
Website: livingmadeeasy.org.uk

National research charity providing independent information to older and disabled consumers.
Tel: 020 7427 2460
Website: rica.org.uk

College of Occupational Therapists (COT)
Can help you find an occupational therapist and advise you on home adaptations or equipment.
Tel: 020 7357 6480
Website: cot.co.uk

Dan’s fund for burns
Provides help for people affected by burn injuries.
Tel: 020 7262 4039
Website: dansfundforburns.org

ROSPA (Royal Society for the prevention of accidents)
Promotes safety and the prevention of accidents at work, at leisure, on the road, in the home and through safety education.
Tel: 0121 248 2000
Website: rospa.com

If you would like to see this information with references, visit the Advice and Information references section of our website. If you are unable to access the internet, please contact our Epilepsy Action Helpline freephone on 0808 800 5050. 

Event Date: 
Tuesday 5 June 2018 - 10:40

Epilepsy Action would like to thank Christine Hanson, Advanced Clinical Nurse Specialist in Epilepsy in Cardiff for her contribution to this information.

Christine Hanson has declared no conflict of interest.

This information has been produced under the terms of The Information Standard.

  • Updated November 2017
    To be reviewed October 2019

There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment...

e-action newsletter

Subscribe to our e-action newsletter and stay informed

Subscribe to e-action newsletter feed