We exist to improve the lives
of everyone affected by epilepsy

Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI)

Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI) measures the movement of water in the brain, detecting areas where the normal flow of water is disrupted. 

A disrupted flow of water indicates where there could be an underlying abnormality. The DTI scan can be compared with scans of people without epilepsy, and can provide further information to assist the doctors in providing the appropriate treatment. This may include surgery. Brain

An MRI scan can detect an abnormality in 80 per cent of people with epilepsy undergoing the test. The DTI can pick up the underlying abnormality in one in three of the remaining 20 per cent.

If the location of the abnormality indicates that surgery may be possible, pre-surgical evaluation will be considered. 

This method of testing is new and there are only a few DTI scanners in the UK at the moment.

Anyone with epilepsy wishing to be considered for epilepsy surgery should discuss this in the first instance with their doctor.

See also:

Further information about other tests is available from Epilepsy Action by using the Email Helpline or if you live in the UK, by phoning the Freephone Helpline on 0808 800 5050.

Pay it forward

This resource is freely available as part of Epilepsy Action’s commitment to improving life for all those affected by epilepsy.

On average it costs £414 to produce an advice and information page – if you have valued using this resource, please text FUTURE to 70500 to donate £3 towards the cost of our future work. Terms and conditions. Thank you

We can provide references and information on the source material we use to write our epilepsy advice and information pages. Please contact our Epilepsy Helpline by email at helpline@epilepsy.org.uk.
  • Updated September 2010
    To be reviewed September 2012

There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment...