We exist to improve the lives
of everyone affected by epilepsy

Sources of further advice and information

The information in this section is about epilepsy and working in the UK. If you live outside the UK, you can find out about working and epilepsy in your country by contacting your local epilepsy group.

Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS) (England, Scotland and Wales)
The Equality Advisory Support service gives free advice, information and guidance to individuals on equality, discrimination and human rights issues.
Tel. 0808 800 0082
Website: equalityadvisoryservice.com

Equality and Human Rights Commission (England, Scotland and Wales)
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) provides advice and guidance on rights, responsibilities and good practice, based on equality law and human rights.
Website: equalityhumanrights.com

The Equality Commission (Northern Ireland)
The Equality Commission provides advice and information about the Disability Discrimination Act in Northern Ireland.
Tel: 028 90 500 600
Website: equalityni.org 

Law Centres (England, Scotland and Wales)
Law Centres provide free legal advice and representation to disadvantaged people.
Tel: See your local Phone Book
Website: lawcentres.org.uk 

ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) (England, Scotland and Wales)
ACAS aims to improve organisations and working life through better employment relations. They offer free advice about employment rights.
Tel: 0845 747 4747
Website: acas.org.uk

Disability Law Services
Disability Law Services offer advice and information about employment law to disabled people.
Tel: 020 7791 9800
Website: dls.org.uk 

Jobcentre Plus
Tel: See your local Phone Book
Website: direct.gov.uk (search for Jobcentre Plus)

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
HSE can provide general information and guidance for employers about work-related health and safety issues. They also offer a free leaflet Five steps to risk assessment, which aims to help employers do their own risk assessments. This can be downloaded from their website. There is also a specific section about employing disabled people on the HSE website.
Website: hse.gov.uk

Employment Medical Advisory Service (EMAS)
EMAS is part of the Health and Safety Executive. It is staffed by specialist occupational health professionals who give health related advice for people with medical conditions.
Website: hse.gov.uk

Pay it forward

This resource is freely available as part of Epilepsy Action’s commitment to improving life for all those affected by epilepsy.

On average it costs £414 to produce an advice and information page – if you have valued using this resource, please text FUTURE to 70500 to donate £3 towards the cost of our future work. Terms and conditions. Thank you

We can provide references and information on the source material we use to write our epilepsy advice and information pages. Please contact our Epilepsy Helpline by email at helpline@epilepsy.org.uk.

This information has been produced under the terms of The Information Standard.

  • Updated October 2013
    To be reviewed October 2016

There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment...

Contact Author

This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.