We exist to improve the lives
of everyone affected by epilepsy

What to do if you’re unhappy about your treatment

If you are unhappy with your care or treatment from your hospital, it would be a good idea to talk to somebody there. This could be your epilepsy specialist or epilepsy nurse. They may be able to reassure you, or make sure that the problem doesn’t happen again.

If you are still unhappy, talk to your GP (family doctor) about your concerns and ask about other options for your treatment. This may include getting an opinion from a different epilepsy specialist. As a patient, you have the right to ask for another opinion. Your GP can arrange this if they feel it is in your best interest.

If you wish to make a complaint about your care and treatment from your hospital, contact the NHS Trust responsible for that hospital.

More information on what to do if you’re unhappy about your treatment in England

For more advice what to do if you’re unhappy about your treatment in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales, contact one of the organisations below.

Northern IrelandHealth and Social Care (HSC) in Northern Ireland
Website: hscni.net

Scotland: NHS 111
Tel: 111
Website: nhs24.com

Wales: NHS Direct Wales
Tel: 0845 4647
Website: nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk 

Event Date: 
Thursday 9 October 2014 - 12:58

Comments: read the 2 comments or add yours


Where can I get treated for dental treatment as the NHS after an appointment refused because there words were iam a disability and to much of a risk.dentest also said no and iam 53 with 50 years of epilepsy and nothing has changed since the past. It's discusting

Submitted by 711939k on

What a terrible way to be treated. No NHS dentist can refuse to treat you because you have a disability. The way this dentist has behaved could be direct discrimination.

If a dentist has an adult patient with a medical condition that needs additional dental care, they can refer them to the specialised dental services.  Community dental services are available in a variety of places to ensure everyone can have access to dental health. These include hospitals, specialist health centres and mobile clinics. To find out more about the community dental care and other dentists available in your area, please contact your local NHS England Area Team.

It would be advisable for you to speak or write to this dental practice first about how you have been treated. We have a template disability discrimination letter you may wish to use.

If you're not satisfied with the way the dentist has dealt with your complaint then you can take your complaint to the independent Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. This is explained further on NHS complaints procedure.

I hope this is of help and if needed NHS England are able to help you find a friendlier dentist.

If we can be of any more help, please feel free to contact us again. You can do this directly, either by email helpline@epilepsy.org.uk or phone the Epilepsy Action Helpline freephone 0808 800 5050. Our helpline is open Monday to Friday, 8.30am until 5.30pm.

Also I’d like to hear how things go for you. if you do complain about this dentist it would be good to know what they did to help with the situation.

Best wishes.

Diane Wallace
Epilepsy Action Advice and Information Team

Submitted by Diane, Epilepsy... on