Epilepsy Action Tea Break - Friday 21 October
- 450g plain flour
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- 1 level tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 level tablespoon baking powder
- 1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 225g Demerara sugar
- 175g butter
- 175g black treacle
- 175g golden syrup
- 250ml milk
- 1 beaten medium egg
- Grease and line a nine inch square cake tin.
- Sift the flour, salt, ginger, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Warm the sugar, butter, treacle and syrup until melted, but don't allow to boil. Mix in the milk and the egg.
- Add the liquid and mix well.
- Pour the mix into the tin and bake at 170C/325F/gas mark 3 for about an hour and a half. Turn out to cool on a wire rack.
(To make a smaller cake, use half the quantities and bake for an hour or so)
Why has this recipe been donated to Epilepsy Action?
A cup of coffee and a piece of cake can make a real difference for people with epilepsy.
Epilepsy Action’s network of coffee and chat groups can provide a life line to people who might be feeling isolated because of the condition. Coffee and chat groups give people affected by epilepsy an opportunity to come together and share their experiences.
Text ACT NOW to 70700 to donate £5, the cost of a cup of coffee and piece of cake, to Epilepsy Action. Together we can make sure no-one has to face epilepsy alone. Terms and conditions.
Want to hold your own Tea Break?
Each year in October, Epilepsy Action holds a fundraising event called Tea Break, asking people to pop the kettle on, make a brew, bake a cake and have a cuppa with us! The money raised goes towards helping everyone affected by epilepsy in the UK!
Holding a Tea Break really is a piece of cake! Whether it’s a cup of tea and a cake in your kitchen or a tea party at your workplace, you can hold your Tea Break anywhere and invite anybody along to share the fun. In the past, we have had Tea Breaks registered all over the UK; from Cornwall to Scotland, in schools, homes and workplaces.
If reading this recipe has inspired you to hold a Tea Break for Epilepsy Action, why not register for your free fundraising pack now and bake a difference?