We exist to improve the lives
of everyone affected by epilepsy

Car drivers and motorcyclists in Great Britain can now notify DVLA online of their epilepsy

23 Dec 2016

Car drivers and motorcyclists in England, Scotland and Wales can now notify the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) about their epilepsy online.

The rules around driving and epilepsy are complex. However, all drivers are legally obliged to tell the DVLA about a medical condition that could impair their ability to drive.

Previously, drivers could only inform the DVLA by post or phone. They were then sent a series of forms to complete. The DVLA used that information to decide what action to take.

The DVLA is now offering a new system, where drivers can notify the agency of their epilepsy by completing the forms online. If a driver is reporting a seizure to the DVLA, Epilepsy Action advises that they surrender their licence beforehand. This can be done by completing the Declaration of Surrender for Medical Reasons form and posting it to the DVLA. This will help drivers avoid having their licences revoked and will make the process of reapplying for a licence easier in the future.

The DVLA worked with epilepsy charities in testing the new system to make sure it met the needs of people with the condition.

DVLA infographic

A spokeswoman for the DVLA said: "Our online medical service was launched in October allowing drivers to notify DVLA of diabetes or glaucoma. Since then we have rolled out additional conditions. We added epilepsy notifications to the service on 15 December and we have already received positive feedback from users.

"By the end of March 2017 drivers will be able to notify DVLA of more than 180 medical conditions via the online service."

Comments: read the 1 comments or add yours


My Licence was taken after I had a Subarachnoid Haemorraghe and an Aneurysm. (Followed later by Epileptic Seizures). This happened, not long after I was 40 years old. I am 53 this year. (So approximately 13 years ago ). I was Stabilized on anti-seizure Drugs (I haven't had a fit in 5/6 years. I am enquiring how to go about obtaining my Licence back.
Lorna Davidson.

Submitted by Lorna Work on

Question about your epilepsy?

Use our email helpline service -- your question will be sent directly to our trained helpline advisors who will reply to you. If you post a question about your epilepsy as a comment on a page, it may not be replied to so please use the email helpline service.

Want to talk to other people with epilepsy?

Take a look at forum4e our online community for people with epilepsy. Anyone with epilepsy over the age of 16 can join, from anywhere in the world.

Comment about this page?

We welcome feedback on the content of our website. If you have any comments about the page you were reading, then please complete the form below.

All comments are reviewed by a moderator before appearing on the site. Once the comment appears, your name and comment will be seen by other visitors to the site. Comments will be edited or deleted if they are offensive, libellous, slanderous, abusive, commercial or irrelevant. Comments may also be edited or deleted if they are not relevant to the page on which they are entered.

We ask for your email when you make a comment through this website. This means that we can let you know directly that we have replied to you. By making a comment through the website, you allow us to use the comment in our publicity without using your name. If we would like to use your name, we will email you to get your permission.

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.