Epilepsy Action is offering four bursaries of up to £250 to support UK-based postgraduate researchers to present their work at UK and international conferences.
- Applicants should be resident within the UK
- Full time students and Healthcare staff, for example nurses, can apply
- Applicants should have already been accepted to present their work at a UK or international conference
- The epilepsy research being presented should be non-laboratory based
- The research must be relevant to Epilepsy Action’s ten year goals (see below)
By 2022, we aim to see:
- Fewer epilepsy related deaths
- Rates of epilepsy misdiagnosis going down
- More people achieving seizure control
- Fewer people having harmful side-effects from anti-epileptic drugs
- People with epilepsy informed about their condition and their views influencing their care and treatment
- A reduction in the indicators of stigma
- Evidence of positive changes in public attitudes
- Evidence of greater social inclusion of people with epilepsy
Use of a travel bursary
The bursary may be used to help with travel, accommodation or registration costs.
Assessment and selection
Applications will be reviewed by Epilepsy Action’s Research Committee. The assessors will take into account the following criteria:
- The research is original
- The research is of good quality
- The research is relevant to people with epilepsy
- The research is relevant to Epilepsy Action’s ten year goals
- The applicant is worthy of support and likely to continue work in epilepsy
- The event is appropriate and will reach an appropriate audience
Applicants will be informed of the outcome within three weeks of the closing date.
Requirements of Epilepsy Action
Epilepsy Action requires the successful applicants to:
- Acknowledge the support of Epilepsy Action in any written or oral presentations
- Supply Epilepsy Action with a short summary (1,000 words) written in Plain English, suitable for inclusion in Epilepsy Action’s publications and website
- Supply Epilepsy Action with copies of any articles or presentations arising from the research
The deadline for applications is 1pm Monday 30 March 2015.
Applications to attend conferences being held less than four weeks after the deadline will not be considered.
Payment of the travel bursary
Payment will be made retrospectively, on receipt of proof that the conference was attended, copy of presentation, original receipts and completed claim form.
Applying for the travel bursary
Download the application form and follow the instructions on there.
If you would like any further information, please contact Amanda Stoneman, Research Administration Officer, tel: 0113 210 8805, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Epilepsy Action is a member of the Association of Medical Research Charities (AMRC), and complies with AMRC policies for peer review and supporting research in universities.
Updated November 2014To be reviewed November 2017