We exist to improve the lives
of everyone affected by epilepsy


Disabled Persons Railcard for people with epilepsy

These pages are about benefits in the UK. If you are looking for information about benefits in another country, please contact your local epilepsy organisation

Am I eligible?

If you have epilepsy, you are eligible for a Disabled Persons Railcard if you either:

  • Still have seizures even though you take epilepsy medicine, or
  • You are not allowed to drive because of your epilepsy

To prove this you will need to provide either:

  • A copy of your Medical Exemption Certificate for epilepsy medicine, and
  • A photocopy of your prescription for your epilepsy medicine
  • A copy of your Medical Exemption Certificate for epilepsy medicine, and
  • A letter from the DVLA stating you are unable to drive

If you don’t have an exemption certificate, for example if you live in Wales, then you would only need to send in a covering letter with your prescription.

Epilepsy Action has more information about Medical Exemption Certificates.

You will probably not be entitled to a Disabled Persons Railcard if you don’t take epilepsy medicine. You may qualify if you get certain benefits. Check the Disabled Persons Railcard website for more information about eligibility. 

How much does it cost?

£20 for one year or £54 for 3 years.

What will I get?

One third off adult rail fares for travel on the National Rail network in England, Scotland and Wales. There are no time restrictions, so you can use it to get a discount on tickets at any time.

If you travel with another adult, they will also get one third off their rail fare.

Disabled Persons Railcard holders can register their discount onto an Oyster card to get one third off Oyster pay as you go single fares and daily caps on National Rail, London Underground and Docklands Light Railway services.

Children aged from 5 to 15 years will pay the normal child’s train fare. However, if a child has a Disabled Persons Railcard, one adult who is travelling with them can claim a discount of one third off their own adult’s fare.

I live in Northern Ireland. Can I get a Disabled Persons Railcard?

You can get a Disabled Persons Railcard to use for train journeys in England, Scotland and Wales, but you can’t use it in Northern Ireland. See Translink for details of discounted rail travel in Northern Ireland.

How do I apply?

You can apply online. Or you can get an application form from any of the following places:

  • Some railway stations
  • Call the Disabled Persons Railcard office on 0345 605 0525
  • Epilepsy Action

Where can I get help with benefits?

Provides a free online benefits calculator and grants search tool to help you find out what financial help you are entitled to.
Website: turn2us.org.uk
Helpline: 0808 802 2000

Citizens Advice
Citizens Advice provides advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities. Check the website or your local phonebook for details of your nearest Citizens Advice service.
Telephone advice in England: 03444 111 444
Telephone advice in Wales: 03444 77 20 20
Find your local Citizens Advice in Scotland
Find your local Citizens Advice in Northern Ireland
Website: citizensadvice.org.uk

Disability Information and Advice Line services, run by and for disabled people. They may be able to refer you to someone who can help you fill out claim forms for benefits (provided there is someone in your area).
Helpline: 0808 800 3333 (to find your local group)
Website: scope.org.uk/dial

This website has lots of information about all the different benefits that are available.
Website: gov.uk/browse/benefits

Disability Rights UK
This website has a number of free factsheets you can download. It offers basic information about benefits, tax credits, social care and other disability- related issues for claimants and advisers.
Website: disabilityrightsuk.org

Welfare Rights Unit
Welfare Rights Units give free advice and support on benefits. Some can also help with completing claim forms and appealing benefits decisions. Contact your local council to find out if they have a Welfare Rights Unit. To find your local council visit gov.uk/find-you-local-council

This website has lots of information about the benefits that are available in Northern Ireland.
Website: nidirect.gov.uk

Advice NI
Offers information, advice, advocacy and representation for people in Northern Ireland.
Helpline: 0800 988 2377
Website: adviceni.net

Event Date: 
Friday 11 December 2015 - 09:30

This information has been produced under the terms of The Information Standard.

  • Updated November 2017
    To be reviewed April 2019

There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment...

e-action newsletter

Subscribe to our e-action newsletter and stay informed

Subscribe to e-action newsletter feed