Driving and epilepsy

If you have a driving licence, or want to get one, you need to tell the driving agency about your epilepsy. Many people with epilepsy are able to drive, as long as they meet the driving rules for their type of seizures.

Find out what to do if you’re told to stop driving, the rules for when you can drive again, and how to get your licence back.

A driver sitting in their car.

The driving rules

Read about the medical standards you need to meet before you can drive.

Stopping driving

Find out when you need to stop driving and how to tell the driving agency about your epilepsy.

Woman looking at her phone whilst riding public transportation
unemployed man calculating bills

Reapplying for a licence

When you meet the medical standards for driving, you can apply to get your licence back.

Driving FAQs

  • I’ve reapplied for my licence. When can I start driving?

    This depends on whether you surrendered your licence or it was revoked.

    If you surrendered your licence, you might be able to start driving again as soon as you meet the medical standards for driving, even if you’ve not got your licence back yet. Find out more about this on our page about reapplying for your licence.

    If your licence was revoked, you must wait until you get your licence back before driving.


  • I want to get a provisional licence. Do I need to tell the driving agency about my epilepsy?

    You must tell the driving agency about your epilepsy when you apply to get a provisional licence.

    You’ll need to meet the same medical standards as for a full driving licence. See our information about how to apply for a provisional licence.

  • What help is available if I can’t drive?

    Having to give up your driving licence can be really challenging, but there is support available to help you get around. This includes:

    • Free or reduced bus and train travel
    • Help with travel costs for work (from the Access to Work scheme)
    • Reasonable adjustments at work

    Find out more about the help that’s available when you can’t drive.

  • How do I check if my licence was surrendered or revoked?

    If you’re not sure if you surrendered your licence or it was revoked, you can check your driving licence online. This is only available for licences issued by the DVLA.

  • How will having epilepsy affect my car insurance?

    You need to have a valid driving licence for most insurance policies, so you must tell your insurer if you’ve had to give up your licence. You must also tell them if you’ve got a medically restricted licence because of your epilepsy. If you don’t, your insurance may not cover you if you make a claim.

    Insurance companies are not allowed to have a blanket policy to refuse or put up the premiums of all people with epilepsy. This would be disability discrimination. But they are allowed to charge you more, or refuse to insure you, if there’s a greater risk in insuring you because of your epilepsy. Their decision must be based on reliable and relevant evidence.

    It’s worth shopping around to find the cover that’s right for you at the best price. If a company refuses to insure you, or you feel their premiums are unfairly high, you can ask them for evidence to explain why. If they can’t provide evidence they could be guilty of disability discrimination under the equality laws.

This information has been produced under the terms of the PIF TICK. The PIF TICK is the UK-wide Quality Mark for Health Information. Please contact website@epilepsy.org.uk if you would like a reference list for this information.
Published: August 2022
Last modified: March 2024
To be reviewed: August 2025
Tracking: LP04.09 (previously B005)
Was this article helpful?
Was this article helpful?

Here to support you

a graphic of a headset

Call the Epilepsy Action helpline

If you would like to talk to someone about epilepsy, our trained advisers are here to help.

0808 800 5050
A graphic of a email envolope

Send us your question

Send a question to our trained epilepsy advisers. (We aim to reply within two working days).

Contact us today