We exist to improve the lives
of everyone affected by epilepsy


These pages are about driving laws in the UK. If you are looking for information about driving laws in another country, please contact your local epilepsy organisation.

The law says that if you hold a driving licence, or want to start driving for the first time, you must tell the driving agency about your epilepsy. In England, Scotland and Wales you need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). In Northern Ireland you need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA).

Some people believe that if you have epilepsy, you will never be allowed to hold a driving licence. But for many people with epilepsy this isn't true. Find out more by clicking on the links below.

When do I need to stop driving?

When you need to stop driving and how to report your epilepsy to the driving agency

When can I drive?

The rules for driving a car or motorcycle (group 1 licence)

The rules for driving a bus, coach or lorry (group 2 licence)

What are the rules if I'm changing or withdrawing my epilepsy medicine?

Rules if you're changing or withdrawing your epilepsy medicine (group 1 licence)

How do I get my licence back or apply for a first licence?

How to apply or reapply for a driving licence

What can I do if I'm unhappy with the driving agency's decision?

Appealing against decisions made by the driving agency

Will my epilepsy affect my motor insurance?

Information about motor insurance for people with epilepsy

Can I get help with travel costs and work?

Help with travel costs and work when you can't drive because of your epilepsy

Can I drive for a living when I have epilepsy?

Information about driving for a living when you have epilepsy


Epilepsy Action would like to thank Ed Foxell at DVLA for his contribution to this information.

Ed Foxell has declared no conflict of interest

This information has been produced under the terms of The Information Standard.

  • Updated March 2017
    To be reviewed March 2018

Comments: read the 7 comments or add yours


I suffer from epilepsy but not had any seizures for over 3 years, could it be possible for me to learn to drive?

Submitted by Graeme Thompson on

Hello Graeme
Driving rules can be complicated so it is great that you are looking in to this for yourself.

Many people with epilepsy drive. As long as you meet the requirements stated in driving law, there is no reason that you would not be able to drive.

In general, to be allowed a provisional driving licence, you will need to meet the epilepsy driving rules. The rules you will need to meet will depend upon the type of seizures you have. You may find it helpful to check out our rules for group 1 driving licences, which breaks down the rules using the type of seizures as a guide. If you have been seizure free for 3 years then you meet these rules.

I hope that this has made things a little clearer for you. As I said the rules can be complicated, so if you would like to talk more about this, or if we can be of any more help, please feel free to contact us again, either by email or the Epilepsy Action Helpline freephone 0808 800 5050.

Epilepsy Action Advice & Information Team

Submitted by Karen, Epilepsy... on

My ex partner won't let me drive with the baby
Haven't had a fit for
15 years due to medication
Going to court over this any advice on what to say about epilepsy defence

Submitted by Kevin Holden on

Hello Kevin

This sounds like a difficult situation to find yourself in.

Driving rules say that a person needs to meet the driving rules in order to be allowed to drive. In general, these say that a person must be 12 months seizure free. If you meet these driving rules, then you should be allowed to drive. 15 years seizure free is very positive.

We are not knowledgeable about family law, so are not able to offer any guidance on whether there are reasons in family law why a person may not be able to drive with a child in the car when they have a medical condition. If you have not already, it may be worth you trying to get legal advice from a solicitor specialising in family law. You can search for details of these on the Law Society website.

If we can be of any more help, please feel free to contact us again, either by email or the Epilepsy Action Helpline freephone 0808 800 5050.

Epilepsy Action Advice & Information Team

Submitted by tpottinger on

I have submitted my paper work to the DVLA to get my licence back. Ive been 12 months seizure free, and my only previous seizures were due to change in brands of my Keppra and Lamictal. I had had my licence for over 10yrs before I developed Epilepsy. Do you know what is the most common type of licence I am likely to get if they allow me to drive. Is it usually just 1yr, or could I be hopeful that I will get 3yrs?

Submitted by Helen Taft on

Hi I have sleep epilepsy and am allowed to drive, my condition is under control and has been for over 15 years. Yet I am for some reason not allowed to drive a lorry. Do u know why this is? Or if there is anything I can do about it, I would have to fall asleep at the wheel first to actually have a seizure.

Submitted by Chris on

Hello Chris

The group 2 driving rules do not make clear the exact reasons that a person who has sleep seizures only may not be able to drive a lorry if their seizures are well controlled. What they do say though is that for a person to be granted a group 2 licence, their risk of having a seizure must be 2% or less. They say this is generally because of the size and weight of the vehicle and the length of time an occupational driver typically spends at the wheel.

Also, you would need to not be taking any epilepsy medicines for a 10 year seizure free period.

Maybe you could get in touch with the DVLA to ask them to explain this rule further for you.


Epilepsy Action Helpline Team

Submitted by rich on