We exist to improve the lives
of everyone affected by epilepsy


Carer's Allowance

These pages are about benefits in the UK. If you are looking for information about benefits in another country, please contact your local epilepsy organisation

What is Carer's Allowance?

If you look after someone with epilepsy who has substantial care needs, you may be entitled to Carer’s Allowance. Carer’s Allowance is taxable and it can affect your other benefits.

What will I get?

Carer’s Allowance is currently £62.70 a week.

This amount was correct in November 2017.

Information on Carer’s Allowance in England, Scotland and Wales
Information on Carer’s Allowance in Northern Ireland  

Can I claim Carer’s Allowance?

In England, Scotland and Wales you may be able to claim Carer’s Allowance if:

  • You are 16 or over and
  • You spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone who is disabled and
  • You are not in full time education or studying for 21 hours a week or more and
  • You don’t earn more than £120 a week (after taxes and some expenses)

The person you are caring for must already get one of these benefits:

  • Personal Independence Payment – daily living component
  • Disability Living Allowance – the middle or highest care rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at a certain rate

The rules are different in Northern Ireland.

How do I claim?

In England, Scotland or Wales: Apply online or call 0345 608 4321.

In Northern Ireland: Call the Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 22 06 74 and ask them to send you a claim form, or download a claim form from the NI Direct website. Alternatively, contact your local Jobs and Benefits office or Social Security office.

Where can I get help with benefits?

Provides a free online benefits calculator and grants search tool to help you find out what financial help you are entitled to.
Website: turn2us.org.uk
Helpline: 0808 802 2000

Citizens Advice
Citizens Advice provides advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities. Check the website or your local phonebook for details of your nearest Citizens Advice service.
Telephone advice in England: 03444111 444
Telephone advice in Wales: 03444 77 20 20
Find your local Citizens Advice in Scotland
Find your local Citizens Advice in Northern Ireland
Website: citizensadvice.org.uk

Disability Information and Advice Line services, run by and for disabled people. They may be able to refer you to someone who can help you fill out claim forms for benefits (provided there is someone in your area).
Helpline: 0808 800 3333 (to find your local group)
Website: scope.org.uk/dial

This website has lots of information about all the different benefits that are available.
Website: gov.uk/browse/benefits

Disability Rights UK
This website has a number of free factsheets you can download. It offers basic information about benefits, tax credits, social care and other disability- related issues for claimants and advisers.
Website: disabilityrightsuk.org

Welfare Rights Unit
Welfare Rights Units give free advice and support on benefits. Some can also help with completing claim forms and appealing benefits decisions. Contact your local council to find out if they have a Welfare Rights Unit. To find your local council visit gov.uk/find-you-local-council

This website has lots of information about the benefits that are available in Northern Ireland.
Website: nidirect.gov.uk

Advice NI
Offers information, advice, advocacy and representation for people in Northern Ireland.
Helpline: 0800 988 2377
Website: adviceni.net

Event Date: 
Friday 11 December 2015 - 09:30

This information has been produced under the terms of The Information Standard.

  • Updated November 2017
    To be reviewed April 2019

There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment...

e-action newsletter

Subscribe to our e-action newsletter and stay informed

Subscribe to e-action newsletter feed