Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and epilepsy

What is Disability Living Allowance (DLA)?

DLA is a benefit to help with the extra costs of looking after a child who has a disability or health condition. You can only make a new claim for DLA on behalf of a child under 16. There is a care part and a mobility part.

What will my child get?

If your child is eligible for DLA, they will get between £23.70 and £152.15 and a week depending on the level of help they need. These amounts were correct in April 2021. For up-to-date information about the rates of DLA visit the gov.uk website

Will my child get DLA?

Your child may be eligible for DLA if their epilepsy or any other disability or health condition means:

  • They need much more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability and/or
  • They have difficulty getting about

They must have had these difficulties for at least 3 months and expect them to last for at least 6 months. If your child gets the middle or higher care rate of DLA and you care for them for 35 hours a week or more, you may be able to get Carer’s Allowance.

How do I claim DLA?

Download the claim form from the gov.uk website or call 0800 121 4600.

In Northern Ireland you can download a claim form, or contact the Disability and Carers Service or your local Jobs and Benefits office.

Cerebra is a charity for children with neurological problems, including epilepsy. They have a free step-by-step guide to filling in the DLA claim form. The guide also has information on what to do if you are unhappy with a DLA decision. You can download it from the Cerebra website, or request a copy by calling 0800 328 1159, or emailing enquiries@cerebra.org.uk

What is happening to DLA for adults?

DLA is ending for adults who were born after 8 April 1948 and are 16 or over. It is being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP). If you are 16 or over you cannot make a new claim for DLA. If you have an existing DLA claim, how the changes affect you depends on your age.

Born after 8 April 1948 and are 16 or over

If you are currently claiming DLA and are in the above age group, you can keep claiming it until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or the Department for Communities writes to you to:

  • Tell you when your DLA claim will end and
  • Invite you to apply for PIP

Born on or before 8 April 1948

If you already have a claim for DLA, you can keep claiming this and will not have to apply for PIP.
If you are making a new claim and have reached state pension age, you may be able to claim Attendance Allowance.

Epilepsy Action has a list of useful organisations for support with benefits.


This information has been produced under the terms of Epilepsy Action's information quality standards.

  • Updated April 2021
    To be reviewed April 2022

There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment...

Subscribe to the e-action newsletter

Stay up to date with the latest news on coronavirus, epilepsy news and events, and how you can get involved.

Epilepsy Action will never swap, share or sell your details. For more information, read our privacy policy.
By clicking subscribe you agree to our privacy policy.